Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 99000673
Historic Name FIRST METHODIST-EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH
Description of Significance AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF THE CLASSICAL REVIVAL STYLE, THE FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH OF VINITA RESEMBLES ITS SECULAR NEIGHBOR - THE CRAIG COUNTY COURTHOUSE. BOTH THE CHURCH AND COURTHOUSE ARE DOMINATED BY in antis LIMESTONE COLUMNS ON THE MAIN FACADE. THE LIMESTONE CONSTRASTS WIT HTHE RED BRICK OF THE WALLS. COMPLETED IN 1922, THE CHURCH WAS DESIGNED BY THE TULSA FIRM OF BUTLER & SANDERS. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 6/3/99.
Current Name FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Address 314 W. CANADIAN AVENUE
City VINITA
County CRAIG
Lot 9-13
Block 51
Current Section N/A
Township N/A
Range N/A
Type BUILDING
Historic Function RELIGIOUS STRUCTURE
Current Function RELIGIOUS STRUCTURE
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 1997
Year Built 1920-22
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder BUTLER & SANDERS, ARCHITECTS; LOVE BROTHERS, BUILDERS
Architectural Style CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material CERAMIC TILE; ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material METAL
Decorative Details UNUSUALLY BEAUTIFUL STAINED/LEADED GLASS WINDOWS.
Condition GOOD
Comments QUOTE FROM CHURCH RECORDS DEPICTING 1920 ERA IN VINITA: "SOUTH PARK WAS TORN UP FOR THE COUNTY COURT HOUSE WHICH WOULD BE DEDICATED IN 1920 AND DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET THE METHODISTS WERE ALSO TEARING UP AND BUILDING THEIR NEW CHURCH THAT WOULD BE DEDICATED IN 1921."
Restricted N